Lab Technician // Basingstoke // £22,000
Purpose of the Job
My client, a well-established organisation with a heritage of over 200 years are currently recruiting for a Laboratory Technician to be based at their site in Basingstoke for a fixed term contract of 12 months with a view to turn permanent after the initial 12 month period.
The successful candidate will work with little supervision in the Lab and will support with all relevant activities, product development and projects for the Materials Development team. You will learn testing procedures and provide support to the Technician team when required.
Your main Activities and Responsibilities will include;
- Supporting with product development and projects for the Materials Development team. These activities include preparation of sample materials and equipment for testing as well as creating and documenting appropriate test programmes
- Ensuring that all experimental and other activity is performed in a manner compatible with EHS, COSHH and company security/housekeeping requirements.
- Participating in the performance development review process and maintaining a record of all training and development activities/programs.
- To comply with all company guidelines and policies, especially those relating to values and behaviours, environmental health and safety, ethics and codes of conduct.
- Your Duties will include;
- Completing a wide range of work requests.
- Working with other departments and team members with accurate and timely test advice & support.
- Operating across the laboratory using a wide range of equipment.
- Training others and demonstrating basic equipment.
- Writing and updating SOP's.
- Supporting projects work across Materials Development.
- Developing self and assist in developing colleagues' technical capability in strategic areas.
- Designing and documenting procedures
- Executing all types of testing, ensuring a high degree of precision and accuracy.
- Driving continuously improving test equipment and procedures.
- Ensuring testing and analysis fully meets the needs of the requestor/customer.
- Suggesting basic equipment purchases when applicable.
- Assisting with planning and co-ordinate calibration activity.
- Effectively communicates with audiences and can present results and data to a high standard.
- Participating in and update RA's.
- Questioning the scope of testing required to ensure correct tests are carried out.
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified in a scientific discipline. Degree or A-Level desirable or as an alternative to be able to demonstrate an equivalent level of experience and on the job training.
- Experience of working within a laboratory and/or industrial environment is required.
- Experience of working with hazardous chemicals is preferred but not essential to the role.
- Experience of delivering reports and recommendations in a timely manner as agreed with the project lead.
- Possess expertise across a range of lab skills and techniques.
- Competence in operating standard scientific lab equipment.
- Working knowledge of relevant key health & safety requirements.
- Good written skills with the ability to write effective procedures.
- Previous experience of working within ISO9001.
Bloc Digital Talent Limited operates & advertises as an Employment Agency for permanent positions and as an Employment Business for contract/temporary positions.