Basingstoke or Gateshead
I am currently recruiting for a DevOps Engineer to be based in Basingstoke or Gateshead on a permanent basis.
The individual will be responsible for the delivery, development, administration, monitoring, and metrics in the following areas:
- Provision of Development Computing facilities and service to internal customers of the Innovation & Technology (I&T) function.
- Enable agility through development, provision and support of platforms and solutions that support R&D and innovation within I&T function.
- Support CTO software development services including continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) systems.
- Supporting CTO areas with technical expertise at a script / code level, enabling rapid delivery of prototype and early solutions.
- Support the engagement of the function through defined tools and processes.
- Provide implementation services to take CD developed process to external customer sites, often where systems are deployed OnPremise.
- The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Develop and maintain Development Computing capability VMWare/VSphere. This facility is designed to support I&T user areas in software development, scientific, design and engineering functions within I&T. This includes a mature Continuous Integration suite that supports all major De La Rue software products. This requires the individual to take responsibility for general design, health, and administration of the facility including:
- Administration of development computing services, i.e. user access, backup, and other administration tasks
- DC performance analysis, leading potentially to further enhancement designs, procurement and rollout
- Template VM design and construction to support stakeholders
- Maintain, support and enable I&T areas to exploit Development Computing facilities which provide hosting of I&T customer platforms and implementations, and partner shared continuous integration servers. In conjunction with the IT department provide the technical knowledge required to assist in the deployment and health check of the Software Development and Architecture's (SD&A) product suite and the wider technical I&T function if required. Development Computing facilities encapsulate a virtual server farm hosted locally and the provision and management of Azure cloud based services
- Take ownership of the suite of virtual servers that form the SD&A product's Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) system, taking the responsibility, at a minimum, for:
- Standardisation of software tools and practices for Continuous Integration across the product lines.
- Management of build, deployment and configuration management servers within the CI/CD system.
- Design and manage the continued configuration of the product team "Team Foundation Server" ALM tool, managing team process changes, interfacing the tool with the CI/CD process and providing support for engineering reporting.
- Provide technical skills in the form of software engineering expertise to assist I&T users to make rapid progress against R&D and other objectives. This will likely be achieved through writing code / scripts and providing other practical IT interventions for I&T users of DC platforms.
Qualifications and Experience
Educated to degree level in software engineering or computer science, or have equivalent experience.
Experience working on a cloud / hybrid platform (preferably Azure) and have been part of Cloud based projects including; Cloud security, Cloud Architecture, and/or Cloud networking Experience in the management of HPC clusters preferably with experience in VMWare technology and management via VSphere Server Virtualisation.
Experience with Virtualisation Technologies (VMware , Hyper-V).
Experience with any configuration management tools.
Experience with Networking Protocols.
Experience with any build and provisioning tools.
Experience with monitoring systems.
Knowledge of continuous integration CI/CD process pipelines. Specific knowledge of Octopus and Selenium would be an advantage.
Knowledge of Team Foundation Server and its configuration is not essential but would be advantageous, particularly if this extends to a basic working knowledge of C# allowing the individual to assist or lead on process configuration changes.
Knowledge of Linux Docker technology and its use within an HPC environment would be advantageous to support the architectural drive within the product teams to modularise product components to open source technology.
A firm understanding of Agile principles is essential. The individual will be responsible for:
The configuration of engineering and ALM tools and ensuring that workflows match the current processes. Knowledge of VSTS / TFS configuration would be an advantage.
Managing the ALM integration with other CI/CD tools running on the HPC cluster.
Knowledge of PowerShell, particularly DSC (Desired State Configuration) would be advantageous
For the more customer focused implementation DevOps engineer a large percentage of the following skill sets would be advantageous:
- Experience in installing products on a wide range of platforms with an in depth knowledge and a can do" attitude that will ensure the job is done, where the environment may be challenging, and the problems may be outside of your knowledge base.
- Must be able to travel and work on site for extended periods of time.
- Solid troubleshooting skills.
- A working knowledge of some or all of the following; SQL Server administration, T-SQL, SSRS, Powershell, DSC, Networking, Web server administration, Active Directory, Group Policy, PKI, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10, SQL Server 2016, Internet Information Systems (Version for Windows 2016) (IIS), Network Load Balancing (NLB), Windows Failover Cluster, Domain Name System (DNS).
Bloc Digital Talent Limited operates & advertises as an Employment Agency for permanent positions and as an Employment Business for contract/temporary positions.